Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Caines Head







Memorial Day weekend requires camping in Alaska. I can't remember not camping on Memorial Day.

This year Paul, Hayden and I set out for Caines Head. near Seward, AK. We hiked almost 20 miles, through the moss covered forest, crossed the river and accross the tidal trail. You have to hike it at low tide--otherwise the water is up to the cliffs and there is no possible land passage. It is a fun hike through a variety of terrain. The rocks though that you climb over at low tide can be VERY slick! There were some definite slides into the water....

We arrived and had the best most picturesque campsite ever. So beautiful. We hiked to the old military defense site from WWII. Some animal ate our lunch as we washed breakfast dishes in the ocean. Hayden says bear--I think maybe it was a blue jay.

Perfect weather--great adventure!

No comments: