
July has been rainy, very, very, rainy—the 8th rainiest on record. This is an item that will upset Alaskans like no other, poor weather getting in the way of an Alaskan summer.
With all of the rain we have not had to water the plants that we put in next to our apartment, but I think that they may be waterlogged and I know that they are hurting for sun. The Nasturtium seeds that I planted this spring are now about 5 inches tall—our neighbor who gets direct sun has plants that are a foot and a half tall and flowering. This gardening in Alaska is hard—everything must be perfect I feel.
Paul did get some rhubarb from some friends and broke a couple of their shovels in the process—he told me he couldn't control his super farmer strength impassioned by the thought of rhubarb. They have not really taken off but have not died so that is good.
Last year we had planted in the woods some raspberries, most made it through the winter but I am not sure that they will produce this year. One afternoon while we were biking around we found a lady who was selling raspberry plants and ferns from her yard. We dug up a whole bunch and then came back with the car to pick them up and planted them in the wild yard—most have made it but not the bushy ferns that I had envisioned.
The good news is that the plethora of mushrooms that we enjoyed last year are back sprouting up everywhere—no planting just enjoyment and they like rain!
No comments:
Post a Comment