Why did we set out from Alaska, drive to SD, then back to the west coast?
There is a reason behind it all.
Over the past few years, we have spent a lot of time looking at mead. Paul and I made our first batch of mead around 2004 and since then Paul and I have taken numerous classes at the UC Davis Mondavi Institute and as of this year are in the investigation stages of launching a meadery—lots more to come on that through the upcoming months.
What is mead? First of all as grain is to beer, grapes are to wine, honey is to mead. Mead is sometimes called “honey wine”.
As South Dakota ranks in the top in the nation for honey production, we would use South Dakota honey as its predominate raw material to create mead.
Earlier this year I spoke with Golden Coast Meads when we were at a class at UC Davis together. This month Paul and I are interning at Golden Coast Meads learning the day to day of meadery operations and having a bit of fun as well!
It is fun focusing on something so different from each of our professions but pulling in many of the skills our careers have taught us.

No comments:
Post a Comment