Last weekend a friend of mine had a potluck at her home where her family and friends gathered. We gathered to talk about our loved ones who have passed away on the anniversary of her parents death. It was a sacred occasion and I felt honored to help her lead it.
We all shared stories and prayed that we may live lives that honor those who have gone on before. Then we wrote on balloons and released them into the sky. It was so peaceful watching them rise.
I still find myself tearing up at inopportune times (I have a fear of tears) as my mind suddenly says goodbye again. My heart hurts but I rejoice in the gift of time that we received.
Paul and I have talked a lot about death and life and I discover more and more how insightful Paul is. I am so thankful to have him by my side as I stumble through my emotions. Even more we relate in that we both lost a man that we loved and that is such a blessing. I remember my Dad talking to me about how he felt that Paul and I were a strong couple. In fact, sometimes I would joke with Paul in that Dad would only want to talk with him.
I have been listening to this song by Third Day, thinking about life and finding peace. The lyrics are (in part):
To everyone who's lost someone they love
Long before it was their time
You feel like the days you had were not enough
when you said goodbye
And to all of the people with burdens and pains
Keeping you back from your life
You believe that there's nothing and there is no one
Who can make it right
There is hope for the helpless
Rest for the weary
Love for the broken heart
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus
No comments:
Post a Comment